I am a multidisciplinary artist from Bangalore, studied in MS University. Currently practicing in Bangalore, Karnaraka. My work has developed in number of ways over the years yet from the very beginning of my art practice, I have workded in Painting, Printmaking, Installation, Video Art and Live/ Performance art. My intention is to blend these mediums into an interdisciplinary language.

Tuesday, July 3, 2018

Dichotomy Between Body and Mind- Gallery III Glasgow Print Studio


GLASGOW PRINT STUDIO

Gallery III


Dimple B Shah 
Dichotomy between Body and Mind

Dimple B Shah  Studio Setting- Transmutation Digital Print on Canvas
7 x 3 Feet 2006 

Gallery III presented works by Dimple Shah, a multidisciplinary artist from Bangalore who was  been  at Glasgow Print Studio  March to December 2006 ,thanks to financial assistance  from a Commonwealth Arts and Crafts Award. During her time here Dimple has used Glasgow Print Studio workshop facilities to make several new works in etching and digital print, she has also produced new work in paint.artists in residence

“My work has developed in number of ways over the past few years yet from the very beginning of my art practice I have worked in paint, printmaking and performance art. Recently my intention has been to blend these three mediums in to an interdisciplinary language.

In the last few years my work has been concerned with identifying “self ” both on macro and micro levels.
- As an individual who is part of social structure, a self who has to navigate through repercussions of political upheavalsand develop perspicacity on related human issues.
 - As an individual on a personal level of existence, coping with emotive responses of alienation, insecurity and fear,  the byproduct of ‘modern‘ era.

Dimple B Shah     'Confronting City Present and Past'                     Etching               46.5 x 23 inches     2006  

The duality of this exploration is reflected in concepts underlying in my painting, prints and performance work.In the series of works in this exhibition I have tried to present different aspects of “self”, the different parallel dimension of complex human mind relation to finding the ‘true nature of self '.

Dimple B Shah   ' Monologue -Blindfold' Etching 10 x 6 inches  2006
Part of Portfolio Exchange 'Blindfold- 1' Between Scottish and American Artists coordinated by Dimple Shah and Mario Kiran


My works presented for this exhibition addressed the conflicting nature of human of mind and body. I  explored various processes of mind and body,  to extract the ‘purified self’ or ‘true self’ and also to talk of ways of purification (distillation).  References were drawn from my back ground as a Jain and other western sources which I came across in my search to find the answers.  I addressed these issues on different levels by bringing various parallel dimensions into a picture, visually and conceptually.
The change in my environment from Indian to western culture had made me look in my own roots again.  The west is always has been attractive force due its glamour; experiencing Glasgow has helped me made me realize the importance of my own culture. It has also introduced me to other aspects of different cultures. My work has also focused on identity of my ‘self’ and coming to Glasgow has introduced another dimension in thinking and has of course given me way to go one more step forward. I had tired in my work to bring this conflict of my identity in different perspective and different levels. The imagery is drawn from various sources. My work has changed drastically in terms of imagery and colour.  The images in my work are associated with ideas and juxtaposed together to reveal a meaning.  My work can be read at various levels and is complex in nature. Also,I always attempt to bring various aspects of the mind, conscious and subconscious and dreams.”

 - Dimple Shah   2006



Gallery III
Glasgow Print Studio,

25 King Street, Glasgow G1 5QP
0141 5520704 gallery@gpsart.co.uk
www.gpsart.co.uk

28th October - 18th November 2006.
Private view: 6 pm - 7.30 pm Friday 27th October 2006

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post a Comment

hostgator coupon