I am a multidisciplinary artist from Bangalore, studied in MS University. Currently practicing in Bangalore, Karnaraka. My work has developed in number of ways over the years yet from the very beginning of my art practice, I have workded in Painting, Printmaking, Installation, Video Art and Live/ Performance art. My intention is to blend these mediums into an interdisciplinary language.

Wednesday, April 10, 2024

Mapping Disappearing Thoughts/Dreams



Live Art Tour 9

Curated by Qing Cai




Date 9th March 2024

Venue- The Bengal Foundation 2nd floor

Time –15 minutes

Photography by Daisuke Takeya

With alchemy of Sun, Water and Air – This performance was about thoughts and dreams that appear and disappear. This performance was not loud, was subtle, sensitive, need a sensitive eye to engage and immerse. This performance talks about thousands of dreams of people of the land of Bangladesh that they dream of every day but eventually get lost in the fast struggle of life to live up to their dreams and thoughts in harsh sun, wind and water. Bangladesh is truly a unique place, with water bodies and fertile land that provides a rich and diverse environment for its people.



The songs of the people reflect their dreams and struggles and serve as a powerful reminder of the strength and resilience of this remarkable nation. It resonates with us as an artist as we go through similar existential crises and struggles reflecting on our state of mind. This performance was an attempt to bring this particular state of mind. To Catch hold of the floating thoughts and dreams actualize them. 



"Performance actions were an attempt to bring my psychological state into action. It was a constant struggle to catch hold of thoughts that kept disappearing. Through my performance, I aimed to bring these processes of action and reaction together, to hold onto the thoughts and dreams that kept slipping away."




The performance is to reflect on this state of mind. I used minimal material water, ink filler and my skirt. Water represented my dreams and thoughts.







"I attempted to create a watermark on the floor, but eventually, it vanished due to exposure to the harsh sun and air. Despite this, I persisted in trying to make a mark. I repeatedly used my skirt to make marks resembling waves of thoughts until the once-fancy skirt became dirty and washed away the invisible layers of grey thoughts, making room for fresh ideas. As I continued my action, the audience members dispersed on hearing the announcement for the next performance. I concluded my performance by interacting with nature, watering plants, and symbolically marking a new beginning.


Dimple B Shah 14th March 2024 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post a Comment

hostgator coupon