I am a multidisciplinary artist from Bangalore, studied in MS University. Currently practicing in Bangalore, Karnaraka. My work has developed in number of ways over the years yet from the very beginning of my art practice, I have workded in Painting, Printmaking, Installation, Video Art and Live/ Performance art. My intention is to blend these mediums into an interdisciplinary language.

Tuesday, November 7, 2023

Talking to the Cows


(Performing for the Animals)

Sumjin River International Experimental Art Festival (SIEAF)  Gokseong South Korea 2023




























This performance was an overwhelming experience as we performed for the animals on the farm. I took time to know and understand the cows, went around the farm closely observing their behaviour, saw fear in their eyes and were moving away from the humans. As I was watching them, I was thinking about what I would perform for them. The farm animals are fed good food but have a short life to become food for human consumption. The Farm owners instructed us to keep our distance and not to go near pregnant cows. I was moving around, overwhelmed by sadness as they were going slaughtered in future for the food.


 A paradoxical situation curatorial theme was to calm and perform for these animals. At another, this animal was farmed as food for the population, contradicting the perspective of questions and answers. It was unsettling mentally and emotionally to calm and perform for them when we did not care for their life. Every living being has the right to Live in their life and live as they want. Human beings are the most selfish people on Earth. This unsettled mind stayed all through my performance.

 As a believer in Jain's philosophy of non-violence, this question of what would happen to them in future disturbed me and was the only thing on my mind while I performed for them. Headgear made from bamboo sticks and leaves. I tried to establish a connection by playing one smallmouth instrument and also collaborated with musician artists who were playing guitar. I also used my voice to communicate with cows. The rendition evoked a painful mood and emotions I felt for the cows to end the performance by feeding them dried grass. The most touching and turning part during the performance was when the cows started communicating with me by making sounds. Cows that were distancing from us came close. I felt a deep bond with them and asked forgiveness in my mind that I could not help them. This performance was quite emotional and heavy for me to settle down.


The second part of the performance continued in another space where we walked and saw many goats in the open field, responding to the overwhelming presence of many goats. I spontaneously performed and made connections to them for some time. Later, the performance started, and many artists performed near a group of Goats. These poor animals got confused and scared and moved from here to there. 











A few artists in the group scared and panicked them by running behind a herd of goats. The same question came to my mind. Why can't humans become sensitive to these speechless animals? We need to treat them with compassion and love them. How can we co-exist together? Many artist's friends will not agree, and many in general would not agree on the philosophy of non-violence. I was in a state of unsettled thoughts and performed 'Talking to the cows and goats on the farm. I was trying to make a spiritual connection and see them with love and compassion, slowly developing an intimate bond.




























Dimple B Shah
18th September 2023 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post a Comment

hostgator coupon